Position Summary and Core Expectations:
Founded in 2012, the Chinese Workers Network (CWN) is a project of the Toronto & York Region Labour Council. Their aim is to build a coalition of workers striving to improve working conditions and empower Chinese-Canadians to advocate for better social and economic conditions. This project hopes to deliver this purpose by branching out to the GTA Chinese community that is on WeChat.
The role of the Digital Campaigner is to develop and execute a comprehensive WeChat campaign and strategy to help achieve the organization’s communication and advocacy goals. Reporting to the project director, the Digital Campaigner will work towards building sustained long-term engagement with the Chinese-Canadian community in the Greater Toronto Area, will provide a progressive voice in issues relating to labour unions (and other trending topics), and will win greater public support and public opinion.
- Responsible for the CWN’s digital WeChat footprint to maximize participation and digital engagement within the Chinese community
- Tracks and evaluates metrics for the organization’s WeChat channel(s) and groups, working in collaboration with the project director to produce effective content
- Tracks and evaluates the WeChat community, identifying strategies for growth and greater engagement
- Identifies and provides recommendations for new digital tools and strategies.
- Working with the project director and external partners to design and execute comprehensive digital campaigns and engagement opportunities
- Writing and designing original digital product content for campaigns
- Generate new online supporters and contacts
- Supports development of all types of digital campaign content
- Ensures the achievement of expected timelines and deliverables (on time and on budget)
- Stay up to date on news coverage related topics relevant to the organization and ensure content posted is on trend
- Other duties as required
- Demonstrated fluency in both Mandarin and English, and have strong writing and editing skills (in Simplified Chinese and sometimes English) with excellent copywriting and Chinese typing skills
- Ability to think creatively to design new digital campaign tactics
- Be an excellent storyteller and motivator who can engage and inspire people through WeChat
- Proven track record in planning, designing and implementing comprehensive strategic digital campaigns
- Experience in setting up and using analytical tools to track the success of digital activities
- Strong attention to detail with a proven ability to work both independently and in a team-based environment
- Ability to use political analysis in interpreting media and social media trends, especially using a progressive lens
- Political campaign experience is an asset
- Knowledge and sensitivity to Chinese Canadian communities in the GTA
- Knowledge of labour movement and unions is an asset
- Knowledge of graphic design or digital design tools is an asset
This is a part-time position at roughly 20-25 hours per week, with the anticipated start date of February 18, 2020. This posting is for 6 months but a potential 6 month extension.
To apply please forward your resume and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, February 7th at 4:00pm.
We thank all applicants but only those candidates who are shortlisted for further consideration will be contacted.