QUEEN WEST- CENTRAL TORONTO COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTRES
Nail Salon Worker Project: Health and Safety Outreach Peers
(Chinese and Vietnamese Speaking)
Queen West is a non-profit, community-based health organization committed to improving the health of community members, particularly those at risk due to poverty and discrimination. Our multi-disciplinary team approach includes the provisions of primary health/dental care, counselling, harm reduction, community development, advocacy, and innovative partnerships with other organizations. Queen West is a leader in the development of inner-city health services focusing on the needs of homeless and street-involved youth, adults, and families. Queen West is a pro-choice and LGBTTQ and 2-Spirit positive organization committed to employment equity and anti-discrimination. Queen West is committed to a harm reduction and health promotion framework across our services.
The “Delivering Workplace Health and Safety Education in Nail Salons” project will outreach to nail salon workers and owners in Toronto to deliver educational workshops on a series of topics related to the health of salon workers. Peer workers will receive training in workshop material and will deliver workshops in salons across the GTA.
- Outreach to nail salon owners and workers in the GTA
- Help plan and organize workshops
- Participate in workshop training
- Support nail salon worker participants with information and referrals
- Carry out administrative tasks as needed
- Collaborate with nail salon workers and project coordinators in carrying out the research project
- Experience as a nail salon worker in Toronto within the past 5 years
- Able to write and speak in English and Chinese or Vietnamese
- Ability to use computers and social media
- A good understanding of the challenges facing new immigrants and nail salon workers
- Ability to travel in the city (no car needed)
Hours: Hours will vary, average 4-10 hours per week. Some flexibility required.
Please forward to resume to Marika Heinrichs at firstname.lastname@example.org